Spokane's First Airport
Felts Field (SFF) is a 400-plus acre active general aviation relief airport in Spokane, Washington. The Airport has two paved runways and a turf landing strip as well as the ability to accommodate water landings on the adjacent Spokane River. Over 170 aircraft and 65 tenants are based at Felts Field. The Airport has a fixed-base operator and avionic services are available. In 2022, its aviation operations totaled 69,796.
The airport is jointly owned by Spokane County and the City of Spokane. The City of Spokane and Spokane County operate Felts Field under provisions of RCW 14.08, which establishes the operating authority of the Spokane Airport Board, consisting of seven appointees from the two governmental bodies. The Airport is financially independent and self-sufficient based on the revenue generated from leases and fees.
Felts Field’s history traces back nearly 100 years with its beginning as a landing field in a park
area next to the Spokane River in the Spokane Valley. It is named after James Buell Felts, a Washington Air National Guard pilot who was killed in a crash in 1927. The airport's heritage includes the original site of the Washington Air National Guard. In the 1930's and 1940's, Felts Field served as Spokane's municipal airport with scheduled airline service from the airport terminal. That building, along with others on the airport, is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
In the 1940’s, increased demand for passenger service and the onset of World War II led Felts Field to become too crowded. Work commenced on construction of a new, modern airport west of Spokane and following the conclusion of the war, all passenger service relocated to the new Geiger Field (now Spokane International Airport). Felts Field transitioned to a general aviation facility, a role it continues to serve today.
Felts Field Location: 6105 E Rutter Ave, Spokane, WA 99212